Engineer or Physicist with a dedication for Energy Efficient Accelerators (PETRA IV)
For our location in Hamburg we are seeking an Engineer or Physicist with a dedication for Energy Efficient Accelerators (PETRA IV)
Remuneration Group 13 | Limited: 2 years | Starting date: earliest possible | ID: VMA077/2021 | Deadline: 16.01.2022 | Full-time/Part-time
DESY, with its more than 2700 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world's leading research centres. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
DESY is a world leading accelerator laboratory providing brilliant X-ray radiation to the national and international scientific community. In addition, the technology to build and operate these light sources is developed by DESY. Currently, DESY plans the upgrade of the PETRA III synchrotron storage ring into the ultra small emittance, diffraction-limited light source PETRA IV providing hard X-ray beams of unprecedented coherence that can be focused down into the nanometre-regime. The Sustainability Unit offers an exciting opportunity for an ambitious person who strives with us to develop PETRA IV in the most sustainable and energy efficient way.
About your role:
- Assessment of the energy consumption of PETRA IV and different approaches to reduce it by the use of new accelerator technologies (permanent magnets; injection systems; plasma technologies; advanced RF systems, climatisation, ventilation, lighting and others)
- Assessment of the emission of climate affecting substances, especially CO2, point out ways to reduce the emissions
- Simulation of energy dissipations to identify loss pathways
- Development of an Energy-Efficiency-Review process
- Identification of critical materials being used in technological components
- Master's degree in environmental engineering, accelerator physics or equivalent experience in an appropriate branch of physics or engineering
- Expertise in accelerator technologies
- Expertise in identifying energy efficiency potentials and in life cycle management
- Expertise in simulations and optimisation of technical systems
- Expertise in CO2 accounting
- Very good analytical and conceptual skills
- Confident demeanour and communication skills
- Ability to confidently formulate technical texts
- Didactic skill in conveying sustainability and environmental information
Good reasons to join:
Look forward to a unique working environment on our international research campus. We attach particular importance to appreciative cooperation and the well-being of our DESY employees. Gender equality is an important aspect for us. To support work life balance we offer flexible working hours, variable part-time and job-sharing. You will benefit from our family-friendly and collegial atmosphere, our established health management and occupational pension provision. As a public employer, we offer you a secure workplace and facilitate your individual career with our comprehensive training and development opportunities. Remuneration is according to the regulations of the TV-AVH. DESY offers its employees a financial supplement for a job ticket at both locations.
We look forward to receiving your application via our application portal:
DESY promotes equal opportunities and diversity. The professional development of women is very important to us and therefore we strongly encourage women to apply for the vacant position.
Applications from severely disabled persons will be given preference if they are equally qualified.
You can find further information here:
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Human Resources Department | Notkestraße 85 | 22607 Hamburg
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392