Research Assistant (m/f/d) in the field of engineering, applied physics or mathematic
- Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und -prüfung (BAM)
- Berlin, Germany
- German salary group E 13 TVöD
- Closing date
- 7 Jun 2023
- Engineering & instrumentation, Materials science
- Job type
- Research facilities
To strengthen our team in the division “Modelling and Simulation” in Berlin-Steglitz, starting as soon as possible we are looking for a
Research Assistant (m/f/d) in the field of engineering, applied physics or mathematics or similar
Salary group E 13 TVöD
Temporary contract until 31.01.2026
Full-time/suitable as part-time employment
The Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und -prüfung (BAM) is a materials research organization in Germany. Our mission is to ensure safety in technology and chemistry. We perform research and testing in materials science, materials engineering and chemistry to improve the safety of products and processes. At BAM we do research that matters. Our work covers a broad array of topics in the focus areas of energy, infrastructure, environment, materials, and analytical sciences.
The project "Structurally optimized lightweight structures through additive manufacturing in the powder bed" is concerned with the design of concrete components that are manufactured using the powder bed process.
The sub-project on numerical simulation is concerned with the optimization of the geometry, taking into account both the load and the heterogeneous mechanical properties. For this purpose, a general methodology for the combination of topology optimization and structural simulation will be developed and integrated into an open source FE-solver (FEniCS) for design optimization. Furthermore, a multiscale model is to be developed, which will allow the simulation and design optimization of macroscopic structures assembled from individually printed components under consideration of their fine-scale geometry.
The project is a collaboration between the departments 7.4 "Building Materials Technology" and 7.7 "Modelling and Simulation" of the BAM and other industrial project partners funded by the
Lightweight Construction Initiative of the BMWK.
Become part of our team of dedicated employees!
Your responsibilities include:
- Development of a method for the topology optimization of lightweight construction elements
- Implementation into a FE tool (FEniCS)
- Stochastic model calibration with the help of the measurement data generated in the project for different geometries
- Development of an iterative multi-scale approach for the optimization of the global structure considering the spatially variable component topology
- Presentation and publication of the results in scientific journals and at national and international conferences
- Interdisciplinary collaboration within the project and beyond, as well as exchange with the national and international research community
- Good university degree (diploma or master's degree) in engineering, applied physics or mathematics or equivalent
- Completed doctorate is desirable
- Good knowledge of computational mechanics
- Good knowledge and experience in the development of FE software (e.g. implementation of constitutive models, time integration procedures or element formulations)
- Knowledge and experience in scientific software development (e.g. Python)
- Interest in the development and implementation of optimization problems and stochastic model calibration
- Good communication and information behaviour, goal-oriented and structured way of working, ability to work in a team and willingness to cooperate, willingness to learn as well as flexibility
- Presentation and publication skills
- Interdisciplinary research at the interface of politics, economics and society
- Work in national and international networks with universities, research institutes and industrial companies
- Outstanding facilities and infrastructure
- Flexible working hours and mobile working
Your application: We welcome applications via the online application form by 09.06.2023. Alternatively, you can also send your application by post, quoting the reference number 89/23-7.7 to:
Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und -prüfung
Referat Z.3 - Personal
Unter den Eichen 87
Dr. Unger will be glad to answer any specific questions you may have. Please get in touch via the telephone number +49 30 8104-3787 and/or by email to Joerg.Unger@bam.de.
BAM pursues the goal of professional equality between women and men. We therefore particularly welcome applications from women. In addition, BAM supports the integration of severely disabled persons and therefore especially welcomes their applications. With regard to the fulfilment of the job advertisement requirements, the application documents are examined individually. Recognised severely disabled persons will be given preferential consideration if they are equally suitable.
The advertised position requires a low level of physical aptitude.
BAM actively supports the compatibility of work and family and has been certified as a family- and life-phase-conscious employer by the “audit berufundfamilie” since 2015.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert