Scientist in the Structure of Materials Group
- European Synchrotron Radiation Facility
- Grenoble, France
- Closing date
- 28 May 2023
- Materials science
- Job type
- Research facilities
The European Synchrotron, the ESRF, is an international research centre based in Grenoble, France.
Through its innovative engineering, pioneering scientific vision and a strong commitment from its 700 staff members, the ESRF is recognised as one of the top research facilities worldwide. Its particle accelerator produces intense X-ray beams that are used by thousands of scientists each year for experiments in diverse fields such as biology, medicine, environmental sciences, cultural heritage, materials science, and physics.
Supported by 21 countries, the ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity.
You will be the lead contact for X-ray scattering and spectroscopy experiments in the context of the Horizon Europe project ReMade@ARI (see https://remade-project.eu), which aims to make advanced analytical infrastructure available to solve current strategic challenges related to circular economy topics (Batteries and vehicles; Construction and buildings; Packaging; Textiles; Electronics and ICT; Food, water, and nutrients; Plastics). You will be expected to develop your own research programme, ideally in one of these areas.
ReMade@ARI is a high-profile project supporting access for circular materials researchers to over 50 European facilities, including ESRF beamlines. You will have the opportunity to learn and use complementary techniques at the ESRF and elsewhere in the ReMade@ARI network to enhance your research project, as well as to perform outreach and training activities on behalf of the consortium.
Further information may be obtained from Phil Cook (tel. +33 (0)4 76 88 21 15, email: email@example.com) and Jakub Drnec (tel. +33 (0)4 38 88 19 16, email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
- PhD in Materials Science, or Chemistry, Physics, or a related discipline
- Previous post-doctoral experience is appreciated but not required
- The ambition to develop your own research projects
- Ability to interact with multi-disciplinary staff and facility users, coordinate activities with colleagues, and to work as part of a team
- Experience in synchrotron X-ray tomography is useful but not essential
- Experience with work at a research infrastructure facility and/or in other synchrotron techniques or similar would be a bonus
- Proficiency in English (working language at the ESRF)
3-year fixed term contract.
The salary will be calculated on the basis of relevant qualifications and professional experience.
Do you recognize yourself in this description? Apply now for your next professional adventure!
What we offer:
- Join an innovative international research institute, with a workforce from 38 different countries
- Collaborate with global experts to advance science and address societal challenges
- Come and live in a vibrant city, in the heart of the Alps, and Europe's Green Capital 2022
- Enjoy a workplace designed to support your quality of life
- Benefit from our competitive compensation and allowances package, including financial support for your relocation to Grenoble For further information on employment terms and conditions, please refer to https://www.esrf.fr/home/Jobs/what-we-offer.html
The ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from disabled persons.
The ESRF is a landmark for fundamental and innovation-driven research, providing scientists from all over the world with the most brilliant X-rays to unveil the structure of materials and the mechanisms of life, down to atomic resolution. Our teams contribute to addressing the complex global challenges that our society faces.
Why work for us
For more than 30 years, the ESRF has enabled major scientific breakthroughs in the understanding of living and condensed matter. With its new Extremely Brilliant Source (EBS), the ESRF is opening new vistas for X-ray science, providing a growing community of scientists with unique facilities to tackle the complex global challenges facing our society. Scientific and technical interdisciplinarity are at the core of the ESRF’s success.
Training and development
The ESRF provides a unique and vibrant setting for early-career scientists, engineers and technical staff to train and develop their scientifc and technical abilities, thus driving the transfer of expertise to other research projects, to industry and to society at large. At the ESRF, we dedicate a significant part of our yearly budget to training our staff. Our human resources policy encourages internal mobility and many of our staff members have the opportunity to change jobs during their career.
The ESRF supports many initiatives and public events aimed at sharing knowledge of science and engaging with a diverse range of audiences, including school students and young children. At the heart of this mission, the ESRF offers different educational programmes for students of all levels.
Each year, the HERCULES European school, the Joint Universities Accelerator School, and the joint International Summer Student programme that we run with the Institut Laue-Langevin, offer introductory lectures and specialized courses, practical sessions, tutorials and visits to other European research facilities.
What we are looking for
We are looking for passionate and curious people who are eager to collaborate in an eminently international open environment.
We welcome people who wish to contribute to a better understanding of the world around us and to inspire and drive progress.
We welcome people in many different disciplines (e.g. science, engineering, management) who contributes, through their diversity (gender, nationality, language, culture) and their professional skills to push the frontiers of science.
Number of employees
Main areas of research
The ESRF has defined seven EBS Science goals, in line with UNESCO’s objectives for sustainable development and with the global challenges identifed by the EU’s Horizon Europe research and innovation programme:
- Health innovation, overcoming diseases and pandemics
- Materials for tomorrow’s innovative and sustainable industry
- Clean energy transition, sustainable energy storage and clean hydrogen technologies
- Planetary research and geoscience
- Environmental and climatic challenges
- Bio-based economy and food security
- Humanity and world cultural heritage
Positions recently recruited for
Scientists, postdocs, PhD students, engineers, technicians, administration, management
Desired degree disciplines/class
From apprenticeship to PhD, in various disciplines (e.g. science, engineering, management, administration)
How to apply
Apply online at esrf.gestmax.eu/search. For further information contact email@example.com
All year round
Tel +33 04 76 88 20 19
71 avenue des Martyrs
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert