Head of Accelerator Operations Division
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung in Darmstadt operates one of the leading particle accelerator complexes for science. Over the coming years, the new FAIR (Facility for Antiproton and Ion Research), one of the world's largest research infrastructure projects, will be completed by an international consortium. GSI/FAIR offers you the opportunity to work with an international team of scientists and engineers committed to building and operating a world-class facility. For more information please visit our websites www.gsi.dewww.gsi.de and www.fair-center.eu.
To fill a strategic key position, GSI is looking for a Head of Accelerator Operations Division (all genders)
You will lead a team of about 160 people, which is expected to grow substantially in the next few years. You will report to GSI's Technical Managing Director, Jörg Blaurock.
Management of the division with the following strategic objectives:
- Successful operation, maintenance, modernization and upgrade of the existing GSI accelerator facility
- Ensuring reliable beam time operation for highly ranked international experimental programs
- Further development in accelerator technology and operations to deliver and to improve top-notch beam parameters
- Leading the preparation of the FAIR commissioning phase, according to the integrated FAIR project schedule, in close cooperation with FAIR's project organization
- Strategic resource planning, carreer path development for talents and organizational development
- Design and implementation of the organizational structure for the accelerator facility's future operations. Management of this change process within the area of responsibility during the transition from the existing GSI structure to FAIR
- Close and strong collaboration and interaction with universities, institutes and other partners.
- PhD degree in physics, engineering or an equivalent field, ideally with a focus on accelerator physics
- Extensive knowledge and proven track record in:
- accelerator physics, -science, -technology, -projects and successful operations
- leadership and management at the division level
- managing projects and operations
- Affinity to the German research context, fluency in English, and at least some command of German
- Excellent communication and integration skills towards your team, peers and stakeholders
- High level presentation skills at international level
- Outstanding level of self-organization and a result oriented working style
A challenging, international, and collaborative environment where people strive to develop innovative technology to provide a best-in-class facility for world-class research.
An attractive salary package based on the Civil Servants' Remuneration Act (Bundesbesoldungs-gesetz – W3). A joint appointment for a professorship with the Goethe-University Frankfurt is possible if formal requirements are met.
GSI is deeply committed to providing an inclusive work environment and aims to increase diversity. Therefore, we especially welcome applications by women.
For further information, please contact Dr. Norbert Sack with Leadership Advisors for Academia (firstname.lastname@example.org) who is supporting GSI/FAIR in this recruiting process.
Persons with disabilities will be preferentially considered, if equally qualified.
Please send your application to email@example.com, stating the reference number:
21.143-6600, by 20.12.2021.
Apply for Head of Accelerator Operations Division
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly