Mechanical Engineer - Vacuum Systems Lead
2 days left
- Job type
In this exciting role, you will join the Engineering Division to work within the Advanced Light Source Upgrade project Vacuum team to support the development of the accumulator ring and storage ring vacuum system mechanical design, analysis, prototyping, fabrication, and procurement. You will perform 3D CAD design work, provide the supporting structural and thermal analysis, identify and develop fabrication methods, generate supporting cost and schedule information, and develop procurement packages and specification documents. You will work together with physicists and other engineers to capture, negotiate and document requirements. You will also work with mechanical designers to develop drawings and related fabrication documents.
The Advanced Light Source has been a global leader in soft x-ray science for more than two decades, and the upgrade project (ALS-U) currently underway will endow the facility with state-of-the-art x-ray capabilities and ensure future leadership. You will join a team that delivers new and upgraded experimental facilities for the ALS.
This is a matrix position within the Engineering Division that supports the wide array of science and technology at LBNL. LBNL was based on a principle of team science. It is the premise that everyone on the team or in support of the team is a contributor. No idea is ignored. All ideas are considered and included in the discussion. It's an exciting time to join our growing team!
This position will be hired at a level commensurate with the business needs; and skills, knowledge, and abilities of the successful candidate.
What You Will Do:
• Lead the mechanical design, fabrication, testing, and commissioning of complex UHV systems for particle accelerators.
• Independently apply engineering principles, methods, and research techniques to creatively solve complex problems based on new technology.
• Accelerator vacuum components to be designed and manufactured include photon absorbers, collimators, RF shielded bellows and beam position monitors.
• Work with physicists and other engineers to capture technical requirements, determine interfaces and integrate the vacuum system design to the broader accelerator system design.
• Work with manufacturing engineers, vendors and on-site fabrication facilities to identify viable mechanical fabrication strategy and prototype aspects of the vacuum system design.
• Perform structural, thermal and vacuum analysis on aspects of the ALS-U vacuum system
• Develop tolerance stack up analysis.
• Write specifications for technically complex or challenging procurements; including the gathering and organization of technical details and requirements.
• Coordinate efforts of other engineers and designers within the vacuum team.
• Develop work instructions and test plans for assembly and testing of vacuum components
Additional Responsibilities as needed:
• Supervise the work of technical and professional staff.
What is Required:
• BS degree or equivalent, in mechanical engineering or a related field and a minimum of 8+ years of related experience in mechanical design and alignment.
• MS degree or equivalent, in mechanical engineering or a related field and a minimum of 5+ years of related experience in mechanical design and alignment.
• Demonstrated knowledge of mechanical design and complex UHV systems
• Experience in the use of 3D CAD software.
• Knowledge of vacuum chamber fabrication techniques including machining, welding and cleaning methods.
• Knowledge and experience in developing a tolerance analysis.
• Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, conduct and lead technical projects/programs and to formulate, track and report cost and schedule data.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to work in a team environment and interact effectively with a broad range of colleagues.
• Ph.D. degree or equivalent, in mechanical engineering or a related field and a minimum of 3+ years of related experience in mechanical design and alignment.
• 2+ years of experience supervising the work of technical and professional staff.
• Experience in design and operation of accelerator vacuum systems
• Experience and familiarity with CREO Parametric 3D CAD software.
• Experience in vacuum instrumentation including RGA, gauges, UHV pumps, e.t.c
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled.
• This is a Career appointment.
• Full-time, M-F, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
• Salary is commensurate with experience.
• Classification will depend upon the applicant’s level of skills, knowledge, and abilities.
• Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values at Berkeley Lab. Our excellence can only be fully realized by faculty, students, and staff who share our commitment to these values. Successful candidates for our faculty positions will demonstrate evidence of a commitment to advancing equity and inclusion.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA 94720.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://18.104.22.168/counter.php?id=212038 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA, https://diversity.lbl.gov/ideaberkeleylab/) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab's mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm) for the supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law" and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/PayTransparencyNondiscrimination.html) under 41 CFR 60-1.4.