Installation Section Leader
- European Spallation Source ERIC
- Lund, Sweden
- Closing date
- 13 Apr 2023
The European Spallation Source (ESS) is a partnership organisation of 13 European member countries located in the city of Lund, Sweden. The ESS is hiring motivated and inspiring people from across the globe to design, construct and operate the world’s most powerful neutron source. We seek collaborative, talented people in a range of fields who are excited about playing a part in the future of science in Europe.
About the role:
We are now looking for an Instrument Installation Section Leader, who will be part of a completely new team at ESS. The team will manage the on-site installation of components for the neutron scattering instruments. This position will have both line and installation management responsibilities.
Your main responsibilities and tasks as the Section Leader will include:
- Leading the Instrument Installation Section of Instrument Installation Package Leaders (IPLs) and Instrument Technicians;
- Organising the section and establishing working processes for Installation Packages and IPLs, determining the information needed, making assignments, and coordinating with Instrument Engineers;
- Establishing working processes for Instrument Technicians with the functional leader of the Instrument Technicians;
- Contributing to forward planning, reporting progress, and encouraging engineering staff to meet delivery and installation dates.
Your main responsibilities and tasks as an IPL will include:
- Leading the installation or construction effort for various technical, mechanical, electrical, or civil works for the instruments;
- Directing the actual installation on site, whether by technician, contractor, or other persons;
- Solving problems encountered during the installation, but recognising when to involve the instrument engineer or Installation Coordinator;
- Contractor Field Management;
- Coordinating and assembling of installation and quality inspections and related documentation, including providing red-lining drawings back to the engineer;
- Ensuring that the installation follows all rules and regulations during installation and that necessary documents and material are available in time for the installation work;
- Participating and contributing to design reviews, particularly regarding installability and practicality;
- Ensuring that work is carried out safely and responsibly, providing additional safety oversight on activities in Instrument Halls;
In the future, this role may require some shift work.
This is a permanent position.
As the successful candidate you might have a degree in construction management, mechanical engineering, or similar relevant technical area, in combination with several years of solid working experience from those areas, for example as a construction crew supervisor. It is an advantage if you have dealt with installation work in a scientific or technical facility.
You have leadership experience and enjoy interacting with colleagues and contractors from different backgrounds, as well as with In-kind partners, in an international context.
As a person you take initiative and work proactively, and have the ability to make decisions, in alignment with rules and regulations.
You are used to working in Microsoft Office and also Enovia and CATIA, or similar systems.
Fluency in written and spoken English is a requirement, as it is the working language at ESS. Knowledge in Swedish, German and/or French is an advantage.
What can we offer?
Aside from the chance to work at a truly unique “Big Science” project, you can also expect:
- An opportunity to contribute to the future discoveries within neutron science;
- A stunning, brand new workplace filled with innovative minds and brilliant people from across the globe;
- A challenging, exciting and fast-paced work environment;
- Market competitive compensation that is individual and differentiated according to role, responsibilities, individual skills, abilities and achievements;
- 30 days of annual leave, as well as more than 10 days of public holiday and company days off or days with limited working hours;
- Monthly pension contributions on top of your salary;
- Flexible working arrangements and a real work-life balance.
Interested? We sure hope so.
If you see yourself in what we’re looking for, please provide your CV and motivation letter in English by clicking on “apply” and following the instructions. Please be aware that we can only accept direct applications made via the ESS website. We review applications continuously, so don’t miss out! Submit your application by 13 April, 2023 and quote the job reference number ESD-27951 in your application.
Certain roles at ESS require health and safety checks, which may be required in the final stages of the recruitment process.
For more information regarding the ESS recruitment process, please follow this link https://europeanspallationsource.se/ess-recruitment-process or contact Recruitment Officer Åsa Ander at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information regarding the position, please contact the Hiring Manager Robert Connatser at email@example.com.
For trade union information, please contact Unionen representative Conny Wendt at firstname.lastname@example.org or SACO/Swedish Association of Graduate Engineers representative Yngve Levinsen at email@example.com.
The European Spallation Source, ESS, is a partnership of European countries, with its HQ in Lund, Sweden. Our vision is to build and operate the world’s most powerful neutron source, enabling scientific breakthroughs in research related to materials, energy, health and the environment, and addressing some of the most important societal challenges of our time.
ESS is hiring motivated and inspired people to design, construct and operate the world’s most powerful neutron source. We seek ambitious, talented people in different fields who are excited about playing a part in the future of science in Europe.
ESS can offer a variety of things, such as passionate and international colleagues, a vibrant melting pot of diversity, and a challenging, exciting and high paced work environment. We value and need expertise, innovative minds and great ways of leading and interacting with people from all over the world.
- +46 (0) 46 888 30 00
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert