The CERN Theoretical Physics Department (CERN-TH) is seeking to fill several permanent research staff positions. We are looking for outstanding researchers with internationally recognised leadership in theoretical particle physics. The positions are devoted to full-time research. CERN-TH has substantial stable research funding at its disposal, systematically attracts a large number of top theorists on a range of positions, and has an active programme of visiting scientists and topical workshops. Diversity has been an integral part of CERN’s mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to its success.
To apply, click on the green box ‘I’m interested’ on the right hand side of the screen, and select your preferred way of applying e.g. ‘fill manually’. Applications should reach us no later than 31 May 2023.
- Develop research of outstanding scientific quality in areas of theoretical physics of relevance to the CERN Theory Department;
- Guide an active research group and mentor young researchers;
- Contribute to all aspects of the scientific environment of the Theory Department, to its management and strategic choices.
PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of PhD / Doctorate in theoretical physics, or equivalent. or a related field.
Experience and Competencies:
- Demonstrated excellence and leadership in physics research;
- High capacity for innovation and potential for making a significant medium to long-term contribution to the scientific programme of the Organization.
- Development of models, theories underlying what is observed in nature;
- Knowledge of theoretical particle physics.
- Achieving Results;
- Solving Problems;
- Building Relationships;
- Working in Teams;
- Learning and Sharing Knowledge;
- Communicating Effectively;
- Creating Vision and Strategic Partnerships;
- Leading with Strength and Credibility.
Good knowledge of English: ability to understand and speak the language in professional contexts as well as the ability to write publications and official communications and to make oral presentations.
Eligibility and closing date:
At a later stage, where required, the holder of an indefinite contract may have to undertake special working hours, as well as work in Radiation Areas.
The holder of an indefinite contract is expected to progress in this initial assignment or in other domains as required for the fulfilment of the Organization's mission.
Contract type: Indefinite contract.
The recruitment procedure consists of a highly selective process and may involve scientific discussions with senior theoreticians, giving a seminar, as well as investigations by a dedicated Search Committee and the approval of the final nomination by the Director-General.
In order to review and evaluate your application optimally, the Search Committee will research your work independently. You are therefore not required to, but may choose to, submit the following in support of your application:
- A Curriculum Vitae;
- A list of 10 most important publications indicating where you have been a principal contributor or a co-author;
- A covering letter giving your research interests and plans;
- Up to three names of referees who may be contacted by the Search Committee.
- Our online application system is a commercial platform which only allows for alphanumeric values. Attachments may therefore provide you with a greater freedom of expression;
- Should you have any difficulties in applying through our system, please contact Laetitia Breavoine (email@example.com).
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible and applications should normally reach us no later than 31 May 2023.
Contract type: indefinite duration
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: TH-SP-2023-8-IC
Benchmark Job Title: Theoretical Physicist
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further.