Electronics Technical Engineer (BE-CEM-EPR-2023-19-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
- Closing date
- 25 Mar 2023
- Electronics & semiconductors
- Job type
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you an experienced electronics professional seeking a new challenge?
CERN is looking for a talented electronic technical engineer specialised in electronics production processes to join the Beams Department, which hosts the Groups responsible for the electronics design, production and radiation tolerance, mechatronics and robotics, test and measurement systems. This position will be in the Controls Electronics and Mechatronics (CEM) group, and in particular the Electronics Production and Radiation Tolerance section (EPR), responsible for the design, production, and quality assurance of electronic cards and crates.
As an Electronics Technical Engineer at CERN's Electronics Production and Radiation Tolerance section, you will be working in a highly technical and specialized field, where you will be responsible for supporting the CERN electronics production team in the design, production, and quality assurance of electronic cards and crates. You will support the activities of the electronic design office, coordinating electronic component procurement and managing PCB manufacturing and electronic card assembly through sub-contracting.
More in particular, you will:
- Work on electronic design projects, providing technical support to the design office team members, and collaborating with the clients as needed;
- Maintain up-to-date design rules for manufacturing and assembly;
- Coordinate PCB manufacturing and electronic card assembly through sub-contracting, which may involve managing relationships with subcontractors, negotiating contracts, and ensuring that projects are completed on time and within budget;
- Oversee the quality assurance of assemblies and PCBs, including designing and implementing quality control processes, performing inspections and tests, identifying and addressing issues, and ensuring the reliability of manufacturing processes through the application of principles and best practices;
- Manage a team focused on electronics component procurement, which may involve setting goals and targets, providing guidance and support to team members, and ensuring that the team meets its objectives;
- Ensure that the production and delivery schedule of the workshop aligns with the requirements and expectations of the service users.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electrical engineering or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in the production of electronic circuits and systems. In particular on assembly of surface mount devices on printed circuit boards, solder paste deposition, reflow process, pick and place techniques, solder-wave process and acceptability of solder joints;
- Demonstrated experience in the Printed Circuit Boards manufacturing processes, in particular copper plating in holes and vias holes, surface treatment and finishing, solder mask and acceptance criteria;
- Demonstrated experience in the manufacturing of cables and harnesses, including related techniques, tools, and acceptance criteria;
- Experience with internal standards for Design and Electronic Assembly and compliancy, as for example IPC standards;
- Expertise in quality assurance and reliability processes and procedures within the electronic design and manufacturing industry is an asset.
- Assembly of electronic components: with particular attention on processes and equipment used (i.e. solder paste deposition by stencil or Jet printer, reflow oven, etc.);
- Fabrication of electronic circuit boards: in particular thermal profiles used during SMD reflow process;
- Layout of electronic circuit boards, front panels, and crates as well as manufacturing rules and industrial standards;
- Knowledge of CAD software for electronics design;
- Knowledge and application of quality and reliability assurance techniques in electronics is an asset.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships. Working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities;
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them;
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations;
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting.
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than midnight GMT+1 26th March 2023.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: BE-CEM-EPR-2023-19-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electronics Technical Engineer
At CERN, physicists and engineers use the world’s largest and most complex scientific instruments to study the basic constituents of matter – the fundamental particles – to probe the underlying structure of the universe.
Working at CERN
CERN is a truly unique organization. A genuine collaboration between countries, universities and scientists, driven not by profit margins, but by a commitment to create and share knowledge. At CERN, students, recent graduates and experienced professionals work together to push for immense scientific discoveries, answering some of life’s most complex questions and advancing the boundaries of human knowledge.
People are free to work creatively and to trust in, and rely on, their colleagues across the organization. History is being made at CERN – and the excitement is tangible, inspiring, overwhelming at times. It is the only place in the world that you can do this work in this way.
Why work for us
Today, CERN employs more than 2500 people, and if you visit us you will find more than 2500 different reasons why CERN is such a great place to work. Six key reasons that we believe will make you love working here are: challenge; purpose; imagination; integrity; collaboration; and quality of life.
Student and graduate schemes
CERN technical and administrative internships and graduate schemes offer international students and recent graduates the opportunity to work with world-class scientists and engineers on cutting-edge research in particle physics, computational science, life sciences, engineering, international relations, and more. Whichever route you take, it will be an extraordinary experience.
What we are looking for
To conduct experiments of this scale and importance, CERN needs people from various career levels and with a wide range of abilities, skills and competencies. We have job opportunities for students, graduates and experienced professionals, from apprenticeships to PhDs (and beyond). Whatever your background, field of interest or diploma level, CERN could be the place for you.
Number of employees
2500+ staff members; several hundred on graduate and student programmes
Positions recently recruited for
Computing engineer, radiofrequency engineer, process operator in cryogenics, web developer, mechanical engineer, administrative assistant, system administrator, power electronics engineer, scientific writer, applied physicist and many more
Desired degree disciplines/class
From apprenticeship to PhD in a wide variety of domains
How to apply
Apply online at careers.cern
All year round
Tel +41 22 76 63 786
- +41 22 76 63 786
Esplanade des Particules 1
PO Box 1211
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert