Electrical Engineer/Applied Physicist - Pulsed Power
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- Livermore, California
- Closing date
- 4 Mar 2023
- Computational science & software engineering, Engineering & instrumentation
- Job type
- Research facilities
Job Code 1: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Job Code 2: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Pre-Employment Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana).
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: Not applicable
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Referral Bonus: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Electrical Engineer/Applied Physicist to develop creative and innovative solutions for various products associated with the Advanced Sources and Detectors (ASD) project and contribute to the research and development of next-generation pulsed power systems and experimental platforms. You will be responsible for the design, instrumentation, and execution of unique experiments related to Solid State Pulse Power drivers, the Linear Induction Accelerator cells and all the support systems. You will bring innovation and technical excellence to bear on challenging technical problems and develop novel engineering practices and approaches to continually improve performance and reliability of the systems. This position is in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED) within the LLNL Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Design, test, and analyze pulsed power and electromagnetic devices and components in support of state-of-the-art pulsed power experimental platform research and development;
- Provide electronics and electrical system level design solutions to include architecture development, trade study analysis, and qualification processes and execute systems engineering processes to include requirements development, interface definitions, and verification activities;
- Simulate electromagnetic and/or physical phenomena using the appropriate simulation tools, which may range from SPICE-based circuit solvers to magnetohydrodynamic or full-wave electromagnetic solvers running on LLNL’s Advanced Scientific Computing (ASC) platforms;
- Participate in the production of system specifications, design documentation, simulated system performance, test plans, tested hardware and software, and participate in design reviews.
- Adhere to the highest standards of personnel and facility safety while leading the execution of high-energy, multi-hazard system demonstrations and experiments with a multidisciplinary team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Provide solutions to complex problems that require in-depth analysis and the creative use of established and/or innovative methods;
- Propose, contrive, and conduct in-depth briefings to executive management and government sponsors;
- Propose and execute significant experiment campaigns to substantiate programmatic goals.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship;
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and relevant previous experience;
- Ability to devise innovative solutions to moderately complex to complex problems in electromagnetics (including impedance matching, high-voltage breakdown mitigation, antenna design and transmission line design, or electromagnetic diagnostic and instrumentation, and related areas);
- Broad experience developing numerical models (using Python, MATLAB, SPICE, Mathematica or similar) to design, analyze, and predict the behavior of moderately complex to complex electromagnetic systems;
- Aptitude for (and interest in) mastering new fields of engineering and physics; a record of creativity, physical insight, and breadth of understanding in applications of moderately complex to complex physical processes;
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks, projects, and priorities;
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate and present and explain technical information in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Advanced knowledge of a specific area of science related to pulsed power and electromagnetic hardware design, analysis, or simulation;
- Ability to provide solutions to complex problems that require in-depth analysis of multiple factors;
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
Qualifications We Desire
- Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in Electrical Engineering, Physics, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and relevant previous experience.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!;
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory;
- Comprehensive Benefits Package;
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs);
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment.
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing candidates and employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value and hire a diverse workforce as it is a vital component of our culture and success. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNL invites you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
At LLNL, our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) is the go-to laboratory for science and technology solutions to the toughest and most important problems affecting national and global security. If you are interested in contributing to pushing the frontiers of knowledge to build the scientific and technological foundation that will be needed to address national security issues, then we invite you to apply.
7000 East Avenue
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert