Doctoral research associate (m/f/d) in the field of physics, chemistry, materials science, physical
- Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und -prüfung (BAM)
- Berlin, Germany
- Salary group E 13 TVöD
- Closing date
- 26 Feb 2023
- Engineering & instrumentation, Materials science, Physical chemistry
- Job type
- Research facilities
To strengthen our team in the division "Non-Destructive Testing Methods for Civil Engineering" in Berlin-Adlershof, starting as soon as possible, we are looking for a
Doctoral research associate (m/f/d)
in the field of physics, chemistry, materials science, physical engineering, photonics or cf.
Salary group E 13 TVöD
Temporary contract until 28.02.2026
Full-time/suitable as part-time employment
The Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und -prüfung (BAM) is a materials research organization in Germany. Our mission is to ensure safety in technology and chemistry. We perform research and testing in materials science, materials engineering and chemistry to improve the safety of products and processes. At BAM we do research that matters. Our work covers a broad array of topics in the focus areas of energy, infrastructure, environment, materials, and analytical sciences.
We are looking for talented people to join us.
Your responsibilities include:
Research and development in the field of application of Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy (LIBS) for the investigation of building materials, thereby:
- Further development of the combination of LIBS with other methods;
- Concept development and implementation of setups for LIBS systems;
- Concept development and implementation for reliable data analysis;
- Development of measurement strategies, determination/correction of influences;
- Acquisition and coordination of third-party funding projects;
- Coordination and scientific supervision of service processes;
- Maintenance and expansion of the international and national network, committee activities;
- Expansion of BAM's status as a reference body for LIBS on building materials (reference tests, reference materials, reference data);
- Presentation of research results in reports, refereed journals and presentations at international conferences and meetings.
- Completed scientific university studies (diploma, master's degree) in physics, chemistry, materials science, physical engineering, photonics, or cf;;
- Doctorate completed or about to be completed
- Very good knowledge of the LIBS method and practical experience in its application for the investigation of mineral building materials;
- Very good knowledge of a programming language (e.g. Python, C, Matlab, LabVIEW) and willingness to learn a new programming language;
- Very good knowledge of chemometric methods and their application;
- Very good knowledge in data analysis of spectroscopic measurement data;
- Very good knowledge of spectroscopy, the application of lasers and the modeling of plasma properties is an advantage;
- Good knowledge of non-destructive testing methods in the construction industry is desirable;
- Very good ability to express yourself in German and English, both written and spoken;
- Experience in applying for and processing research projects;
- Willingness to travel on business in Germany and abroad;
- Good communication and information skills, goal-oriented and structured way of working, initiative/willingness and ability to work in a team, willingness to cooperate, willingness to learn.
- Interdisciplinary research at the interface of politics, economics and society;
- Work in national and international networks with universities, research institutes and industrial companies;
- Outstanding facilities and infrastructure;
- Flexible working hours and mobile working.
We welcome applications via the online application form by 12.02.2023. Alternatively, you can also send your application by post, quoting the reference number 8/23-8.2 to:
Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und ‑prüfung
Referat Z.3 – Personal
Unter den Eichen 87
Dr. Niederleithinger will be glad to answer any specific questions you may have. Please get in touch via the telephone number +49 30 8104‑1440 and/or by email to Ernst.Niederleithinger@bam.de.
BAM pursues the goal of professional equality between women and men. We therefore particularly welcome applications from women. In addition, BAM supports the integration of severely disabled persons and therefore especially welcomes their applications. With regard to the fulfilment of the job advertisement requirements, the application documents are examined individually. Recognised severely disabled persons will be given preferential consideration if they are equally suitable.
The advertised position requires a high level of physical aptitude.
BAM actively supports the compatibility of work and family and has been certified as a family- and life-phase-conscious employer by the "audit berufundfamilie" since 2015.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert