PhD position - Energy Infrastructure
- Forschungszentrum Jülich
- Jülich, Germany
- Closing date
- 8 Feb 2023
Current political events highlight the high importance of a robust and affordable energy supply. The transformation towards a greenhouse gas-neutral renewable energy system can foster independence from fossil fuels, but at the same time also create new uncertainties in supply. Disruptive events as well as changing political, social and technological framework conditions can influence the security of supply of the existing and future sector-coupled German energy system. In this thesis, you will identify and systematize possible disruptive events from the perspective of the energy infrastructure and derive short- and medium-term scenarios to investigate the impact on the German energy system and its robust design with existing energy system models of IEK-3. In doing so, you will pursue various questions, such as: How can security of supply be modeled in a future energy system model considering sector coupling? Which disruptive events, crises, political decisions, and technological innovations would be conceivable and how do they affect the design of energy infrastructures? To answer these questions, you will enhance an existing energy system model in Python and perform the following work:
- Identify and systematize disruptive events for the integrated energy system from the energy infrastructure perspective;
- Further development of an existing energy system model to integrate the representation of the security of supply on different levels;
- Analyzing the impact of disruptive events and scenarios on the design of the energy infrastructure of the German energy system;
- Establishing a database of the modeled scenarios for centralized access by IEK-3 models;
- Active participation in the scientific-public discourse (including publication of results in high-impact scientific journals).
- A completed Master`s degree in the field of natural or (industrial) engineering, informatics, or a related field of study;
- Very good knowledge of energy technology, energy economics and energy politics;
- Good programming skills (e.g., Python);
- Sound knowledge in the following fields is an advantage: Scenario technique, surveys of experts, impact analysis, databases;
- High degree of independence and willingness to show great commitment;
- Very reliable and conscientious work style;
- Fluent English and German language skills, both written and spoken.
We work on the very latest issues that impact our society and are offering you the chance to actively help in shaping the change! We offer ideal conditions for you to complete your doctoral degree:
- Strong collaboration in a project team in the RESUR project (https://www.fz-juelich.de/en/iek/iek-3/projects/resur);
- The opportunity to complete a doctoral thesis within 3 years through professional supervision and internal support services; time taken to submit the final thesis for the last 16 doctoral students at IEK-3: 2.7 - 3.4 years;
- A highly motivated working group as well as an international and interdisciplinary working environment in one of the largest research institutions in Europe;
- Collaboration in an exciting joint research project with top-class partners;
- Active further development of a comprehensive energy system model in order to support energy policy decision-makers in a scientifically sound manner;
- Excellent scientific and technical infrastructure;
- Opportunity to participate in (international) conferences and project meetings;
- Continuous professional support by your scientific supervisor(s);
- A large research campus in the countryside, which offers the best opportunities for networking with colleagues as well as for a sporty balance besides work;
- Best conditions for successful work in a home office (moving to the Aachen-Düsseldorf-Cologne region is not absolutely necessary);
- Flexible working hours, 30 days of annual leave and provision for days off between public holidays and weekends (e.g. between Christmas and New Year);
- Further development of your personal strengths, e.g. through an extensive range of training courses; a structured program of continuing education and networking opportunities specifically for doctoral researchers via JuDocS, the Jülich Center for Doctoral Researchers and Supervisors: https://www.fz-juelich.de/en/judocs.
- Targeted services for international employees, e.g. through our International Advisory Service.
The position is for a fixed term of 3 years. Pay in line with 75% of pay group 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund) and additionally 60 % of a monthly salary as special payment („Christmas bonus“). Further information on doctoral degrees at Forschungszentrum Jülich including our other locations is available at: https://www.fz-juelich.de/gp/Careers_Docs.
We welcome applications from people with diverse backgrounds, e.g. in terms of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation / identity, and social, ethnic and religious origin. A diverse and inclusive working environment with equal opportunities in which everyone can realize their potential is important to us.
Questions about the offer?
Please feel free to contact us via our contact form.
Please note that for technical reasons we cannot accept applications by e-mail.
Conducting research for a changing society: this is what drives us at Forschungszentrum Jülich. We aim to tackle the grand societal challenges of our time and conduct research into the possibilities of a digitized society, a climate-friendly energy system, and a resource-efficient economy.
Why work for us
We offer an international and interdisciplinary working environment on an attractive research campus, as well as exciting and varied responsibilities. Flexible working hours, the possibility of mobile working, support with childcare and care for relatives as well as counselling in individual life situations are instruments that we rely on. We support employees and their families who come to us from abroad with targeted services such as our International Advisory Services. An overview of our benefits can be found at go.fzj.de/en-benefits.
Training and development
We promote the development of our employees and offer a wide range of internal and external training and development opportunities (language courses, professional training, transferable skills courses such as leadership and project management).
Graduate schemesThe Jülich Center for Doctoral Researchers and Supervisors (JuDocS) offers support for more than 1000 doctoral researchers and 400 supervisors. By providing onboarding, qualification opportunities, project monitoring, and counselling, it fosters high-quality standards for all doctoral projects. Furthermore, JuDocS cooperates with thematic graduate schools such as the Helmholtz Graduate School for Energy and Climate (HITEC), the International Helmholtz Research School of Biophysics and Soft Matter, the Helmholtz Information & Data Science Academy (HIDA) and the Helmholtz School for Data Science in Life, Earth, and Energy (HDSLEE).
What we are looking for
Every year, we have more than 800 positions for candidates at all career levels in science, technical and administrative departments, and science management. We welcome applications from people with diverse backgrounds, e.g. in terms of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation/identity, and social, ethnic and religious origin. A diverse and inclusive working environment with equal opportunities in which everyone can realize their potential is important to us.
Germany (Münster, Düsseldorf, Aachen, Cologne, Bonn, Duisburg, Freiburg, Garching, Erlangen/Nürnberg, Berlin, Rostock, Hamburg), France (Grenoble), US (Oak Ridge), Thailand (Bangkok)
Number of researchers
More than 2800 scientists (1000 are doctoral researchers)
Main areas of research
Energy, information and bioeconomy
Positions recently recruited for
PhD candidates, postdocs/scientists, scientific leadership positions, junior research group leaders, professorships
Desired degree disciplines/class
Bachelor’s/master’s degree, PhD; physics, chemistry, biology, engineering, computer science, mathematics
Eligibility to work in the EU
How to apply
Please visit fz-juelich.de/en/careers/jobs
All year round
Tel +49 2461619760
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert