Location: Malvern, England, GB
As UK leaders in Command, Control, Communications, Computers (C4) Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) - C4ISR, training and human sciences research & consultancy, we bring together diverse internal QinetiQ resource and external supplier teams to deliver innovation and value to our customers, specialising in efficient delivery of large framework contracts. We exploit the unique breadth and depth of QinetiQ technical teams to add real value as a research prime, linking across multiple domains. We provide the expert people and innovation to deliver future products and services into the wider QinetiQ business, working to encourage novel ideas as well as innovation driven by business need.
QinetiQ’s Research & Innovation Delivery Team requires science and technology enthusiasts, keen to be part of exciting growth in Futures and Innovation understanding, to enable Defence and Security to mitigate future challenges, whilst identifying and exploiting opportunities. In particular, we are growing a new capability in quantum technology, and are looking for people who can lead and deliver research, demonstration and consultancy projects on quantum technology, and help train up juniors in this field to grow capability.
- Leading the technical direction and delivery of small projects on quantum technology.
- Conduct feasibility studies into military aspects of quantum technologies. This could include:
- Studies into the applicability of aspects of quantum technology to future communications systems;
- Studies into the practical utility of quantum-based inertial navigation systems;
- Military applications of novel quantum-enhanced sensors;
- Programming multiple Third party quantum computers and realistic simulators with algorithms appropriate to defence needs;
- Understanding capability gaps and opportunities;
- Mentoring and training early-careers staff in the applications of quantum technology in order to grow the capability;
- Writing final technical reports;
- Presenting of technical outputs, appropriate to the audience’s knowledge and expertise, in both written and presentational formats;
- Identification of opportunities for follow on work and supporting their pursuit and bidding from a technical perspective.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required
- Experience working in Quantum technology;
- Degree level or higher in a relevant science or technical discipline;
- Strong oral and written communication skills, with an ability to communicate complex technical subjects to a non-expert audience;
- Natural systems thinker who has a passion for solving problems;
- Proactive, self-motivated, with a ‘can-do’ attitude;
- Collaborative, ‘one team’ outlook.
- Experience of one or more of QisKit, PyQuil, BraKet;
- Practical experimental experience using quantum systems;
- Basic understanding of hybrid quantum/classical systems engineering.
Please note that all applicants must be eligible for SC clearance as a minimum.
UKSV National Security Vetting Solution: guidance for applicants - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Why join QinetiQ?
As we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there’s never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success is our appetite for innovation and having the courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges.
You’ll experience a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as we undertake this exciting and rewarding journey. Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, you’ll get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems in an diverse and inclusive environment where you can be authentic, feel valued and realise your full potential. Read more about our diverse and inclusive workplace culture here.
Joining QinetiQ offers you an opportunity to work on a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits. You’ll receive a highly competitive salary and benefits package: our basic salaries are very attractive as we constantly review what’s happening in the market. The range of benefits that we offer include, adaptive and flexible working, generous holiday entitlements, Health Cash Plan, Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance and much more.
As a company of over 6,000 dedicated professionals, we are a world-centre of excellence in research and development and act as a catalyst for fast-track innovation, offering outstanding experimentation facilities, and technical, engineering and scientific expertise. QinetiQ is made up of dedicated experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets, all working together to explore new ways of protecting what matters most. Being part of QinetiQ means being central to the safety and security of the world around us. Partnering with our customers, we help to save lives; reduce risks to society; and maintain the global infrastructure on which we all depend. Come and find out how you can play a role.
Please note that many roles in QinetiQ are subject to national security vetting. Applicants that already hold the appropriate level of vetting may be able to transfer it upon appointment, subject to approval. A number of roles are also subject to restrictions on access to information that mean factors such as nationality, previous nationalities held and the country in which you were born may have an effect on the roles that you can be employed in.