Senior Scientist as Specialist (f/m/d) for Computing in the Institute for Accelerator Physics
- Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie GmbH
- Berlin, Germany
- Closing date
- 5 Feb 2023
Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie (HZB) investigates and develops materials for a sustainable energy supply of the future. For this purpose, we operate the synchrotron facility BESSY II as well as several core labs for investigating materials. BESSY II attracts users from all over the world with its unique experimental facilities. With approx. 1,200 employees, HZB is today one of the largest non-university research centres in Berlin. More information: www.helmholtz-berlin.de.
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie (HZB) researches solutions for a climate-neutral society. We research complex material systems for an environmentally friendly and sustainable energy supply of the future and provide a large-scale facility for researchers and industry from all over the world with the synchrotron radiation source BESSY II. Furthermore, HZB operates the Metrology Light Source in close cooperation with the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt.
In the Institute for Accelerator Operation, Development and Technology we are responsible for the operation and continuous development of BESSY II and the MLS in order to provide researchers with optimal conditions and new possibilities of use. More than 100 technicians, engineers and scientists work together in a creative environment to ensure reliable operation and high-quality research for more than 5000 hours per year. In addition, we conduct research for the development of new technologies, methods and concepts in accelerator science and develop design concepts for the planned successor sources BESSY III and MLS2.
Curious? Get an impression here: The BESSY II control room - your working environment
- You take an active role in the accelerator physics team at BESSY II and MLS;
- You lead lattice modifications projects and take responsibility for the reference models of BESSY II and MLS, their development and user interface;
- You promote and establish the usage of modern computational methods in the institute of accelerator physics – to be applied during machine commissioning;
- You collaborate on the topics of machine learning and digital twins with internal and external partners;
- You have an interest in guiding students and supervising bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral theses.
- Profound knowledge of accelerator physics with experience on electron storage rings;
- Proven experience of beam dynamics modelling tools like elegant or MAD;
- Established coding capabilities in Python and C;
- Knowledge of modern methods of software development (Git, CI, etc.) as well as modern techniques (Kubernetes, Docker, Singularity).
Your Benefits at HZB
- Salary based on the Collective Agreement for the German Public Service (TVöD-Bund) up to the level of E14 depending on your personal qualification, experience, and vitae;
- Work at one of the largest non-university research institutions in Berlin, which is an international, multi-faceted organization that offers access to state-of-the-art research infrastructure and promotes networking and exchange within the Helmholtz Association and beyond;
- A challenging and mission-critical role in a highly attractive work environment with access to state-of-the-art accelerator infrastructure at a large-scale facility;
- The opportunity to contribute together with researchers from all around the world to the development of renewable energies, energy stores and next-gen technologies for a climate-friendly future;
- A secure, crisis-stable job;
- Work-life balance;
- Flexible work hours with flextime;
- 39-hour week;
- 30 days paid leave;
- Mobile working on up to three days/week;
- Comprehensive counselling services for family and career;
- Health management and company sports programs;
- Financial support for public transport (Jobticket);
- Continuing education opportunities;
- A company pension scheme (VBL);
- And a diverse, motivated team that is looking forward to working with you!
The employment contract is unlimited. The salary is based on the Collective Agreement for the German Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
How to apply
We look forward to receiving your application via our application management system by 05.02.2023. For reasons of data protection regulations, we are unfortunately unable to consider applications that reach us by email or by mail in the application process.
We strive to increase the proportion of female employees and are therefore particularly pleased to receive applications from women. Disabled applicants with equal aptitude are given preference.
Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie GmbH
Hahn-Meitner-Platz 1, 14109 Berlin
CONTACT FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
Dr. Markus Ries
+49 30 8062-17915
Dr. Andreas Schälicke
+49 30 8062-17914
Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie is part of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centres. The institute studies the structure and dynamics of materials and investigates solar cell technology. It also runs the third-generation BESSY II synchrotron in Adlershof
- +49 30 8062-43193
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert