Research Engineer, High-Pressure Systems
The European Spallation Source (ESS) is a partnership organization of 13 European member countries located in the city of Lund, Sweden. The ESS is hiring motivated and inspiring people from across the globe to design, construct and operate the world’s most powerful neutron source. We seek collaborative, talented people in a range of fields who are excited about playing a part in the future of science in Europe.
We are currently recruiting for the position of Research Engineer for High-Pressure Sample Environment Systems. This is a critical role within the Sample Environment Group which is part of the Science Directorate’s Scientific Activities Division. Reporting to the Group Leader for Sample Environment, your primary tasks will be to develop, integrate (and later operate and maintain) the innovative sample environment systems for High Pressure at ESS. Such systems are required for experiments throughout the ESS instrument suite. During the first years within the position at ESS you will focus on sample environment systems needed to enable first science when the facility enters operation.
- Commission, set up, operate and manage sample environment to enable high pressure experiments at ESS;
- Provide scientific and technical support to ESS instruments and users for their high-pressure experiments;
- Collaborate with the ESS instruments team and other expert teams at other facilities to strengthen current knowledge and develop new ones. You will have the possibility to gain more professional experience at other neutron facilities, such as SNS;
- Create and participate in synergies with the neighbouring MAX-IV synchrotron as well as with universities;
- Establish a R&D program for innovative high-pressure sample environment capabilities by joining existing projects and/or initiating new ones.
- PhD in physics, geology or materials science;
- Experience in the use of high-pressure devices at neutron and/or synchrotron facilities;
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment;
- Strong interest in developing sample environment for research facilities and supporting users;
- Ability to adapt and cope with changing circumstances;
- Fluent in written and spoken English (working language)
- Short and longer periods of travel outside Sweden are to be expected during the first 2 years of employment.
Duration & Location
The position is for a permanent position located in Lund, Sweden.
Application & Contact
Please provide your CV in English by clicking on “apply” and following the instructions.
The deadline for applications is November 28th, 2022.
For more information regarding the ESS recruitment process, please follow this link https://europeanspallationsource.se/ess-recruitment- process.
For further information regarding the position, please contact the Line Manager, Caroline Curfs, Group Leader for Sample Environment, Caroline.Curfs@ess.eu.
For further information regarding the recruitment process, please contact Recruitment Partner, Kate Quaak, firstname.lastname@example.org.
For trade union information please contact Unionen / Conny Wendt at +46 72 179 24 63 or SACO / Swedish Association of Graduate Engineers/ Yngve Levinson at +46 72 179 21 65