Quality and Process Manager
The European Organisation for Astronomical Research in the Southern Hemisphere (ESO) is the foremost intergovernmental astronomy organisation in Europe and the world’s most productive ground-based astronomical observatory. ESO carries out an ambitious programme focused on the design, construction and operation of powerful ground-based observing facilities enabling astronomers to make important scientific discoveries.
ESO operates three unique world-class observing sites in northern Chile: La Silla, Paranal and Chajnantor (home to ALMA and APEX), and the ESO Headquarters are located in Garching, near Munich, Germany.
At Paranal, ESO operates the Very Large Telescope, the world's most advanced visible-light astronomical observatory, and will host and operate the southern array of the Cherenkov Telescope Array, the world’s largest and most sensitive high energy gamma-ray observatory. ESO is a major partner in ALMA, the largest astronomical project in existence. And on Cerro Armazones, ESO is building the 39-metre Extremely Large Telescope (ELT), which will become "the world's biggest eye on the sky" and whose operations will be fully integrated into the Paranal Observatory.
For its Quality and Sustainability Office, within the Office of the Director General at its Headquarters in Garching, near Munich, Germany, ESO is advertising the position of
Quality and Process Manager
The Quality and Process Manager (QPM) will be responsible for the corporate quality management system with clear, accessible and lean processes. Included is the development and updating of the ESO process inventory, the modelling, monitoring and optimization of processes and yearly reporting to the Directors Team (DT) in the so called “process review” to detail the effectiveness and efficiency of ESO’s processes.
The QPM also plays the role of requirements manager for the Quality and Information Systems (QIS) Programme which is an umbrella for ESO-wide Information Systems projects. Through its QIS Programme, ESO will have a portfolio of projects related to digital transformation and effective and efficient business process management (BPM) practices and solutions will be essential for ensuring the success of these digital transformation initiatives. The QPM shall ensure that cross-organisational requirements for new Information System solutions are gathered and implemented. Additionally, the QPM will reengineer/develop processes for such systems as required.
The QPM will be additionally responsible for ensuring coordination and synergy among the Quality Assurance/Product Assurance (QA/PA) groups and individuals across the Directorates by leading the Quality Forum.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Quality Management - Tasks related to the establishment and implementation of a Quality Management System at ESO (50%):
- Populate the ESO process inventory. The QPM shall keep it up to date.
- Model processes in BPMN notation. Interaction with defined process owners will be essential to keep processes effective, efficient and documentation up to date.
- In coordination with Internal Audit, develop a quality audit plan and perform the audits. The output of this audits will feed the regular (yearly) “process review” which will be presented to DT for subsequent improvements.
- Develop an ESO wide Quality Management Policy, lead its implementation and monitor it.
- Provide guidance and advice to projects and other ESO internal stakeholders on QM aspects.
- Lead the Quality Forum, which is an entity where QA/ PA groups and staff across ESO and the QPM will exchange on QA/ PA aspects. In the first phase the main goal will be to develop a common approach under the guidance of the QPM.
- Identify quality management training needs and organize the implementation of a training plan in coordination with HR.
Process and Requirements Management - Tasks related to QIS Programme (50%):
The QIS Programme will provide ESO management with support related to the design, implementation and verification of cross-organisational projects linked with Information Management, Document Management, Configuration Management and Quality Management.
- Together with the QIS Programme Manager, the QPM will develop new projects in these areas and after approval by DT, implement them with the project manager/team.
- The QPM is responsible for ensuring that cross-organisational requirements for these projects are gathered, checked for consistency and adhered to by the projects.
The QPM will describe / model / reengineer / document processes for the projects hosted within the QIS Programme, most notably the renewal of the ERP system. BPMN is the ESO standard notation for process modelling.
Head of Quality and Sustainability Office
Key Competences and Experience:
Essential Competences and Experience
- Minimum 5 years of experience working as a Quality Manager and/or Process Manager in a scientific environment or engineering organisation.
- The QPM should have extensive experience in applying and developing good practice in the areas of process definition, modelling, improvement, reengineering, redesign and monitoring.
- He/she must have profound knowledge of general business processes.
- Have In-depth knowledge of the principles delineated in ISO 9000:2015 (note: registration against ISO 9001:2015 requirements is not envisaged).
- Have a knowledge of the BPMN standard (Business Process Model and Notation, ISO/IEC 19510:2013)
- Hands-on knowledge of Quality Assurance activities (anomalies processing, QA in testing…)
- Very good stakeholder engagement and conflict resolution skills.
- Experience in change management with hands-on mentality and passion for implementing cross-functional projects.
- Excellent communication skills (in English, both written and oral forms) are required, to foster internal collaboration and be able to deliver clear and convincing presentations.
Desirable Competences and Experience
- She/he should also have experience in managing a corporate quality management system.
- He/she should have engineering process knowledge
- Experience in digital transformation projects such as ERP system implementations would be advantageous.
- Strong analytical skills, affinity for technology.
- Have experience working in a multicultural and diverse context.
- Working knowledge of Spanish will be an asset.
- Flexibility and willingness to adapt to the new challenges of the evolving environment, to take on responsibilities and initiative.
University degree in Engineering, Business Administration or related field.
The position requires a working knowledge of English.
Remuneration and Contract:
We offer an attractive remuneration package including a competitive salary (tax free), comprehensive pension scheme and medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial help in relocating your family and the possibility to place your child/children in daycare.
ESO aims to support members of personnel in maintaining a good work-life balance (https://www.eso.org/public/jobs/conditions/intstaff/#work-life-balance) between their professional and private life. ESO is also committed to offering family-friendly support (https://www.eso.org/public/jobs/conditions/intstaff/#family-friendly-support), creating a work environment and policies which allow staff to balance their professional and private responsibilities through flexible working arrangements and financial support for families.
The contract is for a fixed term duration of three years and is subject to successful completion of the probation period. There may be a possibility of extension(s) subject to individual performance and organisational requirements, and as defined in the applicable policies and staff rules and regulations. For any further information, please visit ESO's conditions of employment. Please note that the contract policy and in particular the regulations concerning fixed-term and indefinite contracts are currently under review which may lead to changes in the contractual conditions applicable to this position.
Garching near Munich, Germany with regular duty trips to all ESO sites in Chile.
Career Path: VI
If you are interested in working in areas of frontline science and technology and in a stimulating international environment, please visit http://www.eso.org for further details.
Applicants are invited to apply online at http://jobs.eso.org/. Applications must be completed in English and should include a motivation letter and CV. Within your CV, please provide the names and contact details of three persons familiar with your work and willing to provide a recommendation letter upon request. Referees will not be contacted without your prior consent.
Deadline for applications is 14.10.2022
An important element in any successful employment relationship is harmony in values between an organisation and its people.
The ESO values are:
ESO strives for excellence through innovation.
ESO provides outstanding services to its communities.
ESO fosters diversity & inclusion.
ESO believes in the key role of sustainability for its future.
Achieving the above are recognised as only possible on the basis of personal values and attitudes that we expect from our employees: respect, integrity, accountability, commitment, collaboration, and clear & open communication.
Applicants to any ESO role are asked to reflect on their affinity with these values and advised they may be asked about them if called for interview.
ESO has established diversity as an important value of the Organisation, is committed to providing an equal opportunities environment and is actively seeking to promote a diverse, equitable and inclusive workforce.
No nationality is in principle excluded from employment at ESO, however, recruitment preference will be given to nationals of our Member States, host states and strategic partners: Australia, Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Chile, irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, ethnicity or religion.