Data Analytics Infrastructure Engineer (IT-DA-AV-2022-74-LD)
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
You will join the Analytics and Visualisation section, which provides frontend analytics services such as interactive analytics platforms, central reporting platforms and dashboards infrastructure. Moreover, the section works with the Experiments, Accelerator sector, IT and other CERN communities interested in implementing data analysis solutions with these technologies.
As a Data Analytics Infrastructure Engineer in the Database and Analytics Group, your main activities will consist of:
- System administration of interactive analytics infrastructure (Jupyter Notebooks) through multiple product lifecycle environments.
- Configuration and support of analytics and visualisation solutions: architecture, evolution, migration, upgrades and patches (including monitoring of system health and performance) to ensure high levels of performance, availability, and security.
- Consultancy, assistance and advice to end users developing analytics use-cases.
- Sharing domain and technical expertise, providing technical mentorship and training to peers.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Computing Science or a science discipline (e.g. Physics) with significant computing content or a related field.
The successful candidate should have demonstrated experience in following fields:
- Operation of large-scale production Kubernetes environments.
- Technical and troubleshooting skills with Kubernetes components, web interfaces and data analysis engines and packages (e.g. Apache Spark)
- Devops operations (Linux systems) and configuration management experience in an Agile development environments and/or cloud native deployments.
- Knowledge of database and/or data mining architectures and technologies: familiarity with SQL and interacting with database systems.
- Knowledge of system configuration tools: familiarity with automation tools for infrastructure delivery and management.
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages: UNIX shell script and Python programming is required. Java knowledge would be an advantage.
- Administration of computing systems: troubleshooting and monitoring of linux-based systems and deployments.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Demonstrating flexibility: readily absorbing new techniques and working practices; proposing new or improved ways of working Adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information. Sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
Spoken and written English: ability to understand and speak in professional contexts. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations.
Eligibility and closing date:
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 15.08.2022 at noon CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (2 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: IT-DA-AV-2022-74-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Computing Engineer