Mechanical Engineer (Accelerator integrator)
We are ready to design build our accelerator. Are you?
Together with a large team of ambitious engineers and researchers, SCK CEN wants to develop new medical radioisotopes to treat cancer patients and solve the nuclear waste issue by means of the MYRRHA project. The MYRRHA project’s first phase (start of commissioning scheduled for 2026) consists of a proton accelerator with one of a kind reliability and two target facilities with which research can be performed into radioisotopes, radioactive ion beam physics and nuclear fusion reactor materials. The subsequent phases extend the accelerator to drive a sub-critical reactor intended to proof the concept of nuclear waste transmutation (start of commissioning scheduled for 2040). To help us achieve our ambitious goals, we are looking for an accelerator integration coordinator. In this position you will:
- Be responsible for coordinating the mechanical integration of the different accelerator components including the beam line elements as well as the related utility rooms and accelerator labs. You will perform this by ensuring a coherent, complete and up-to-date 3D CAD model of the accelerator is available with the support of the components experts, external companies and collaboration partners;
- Design, construction, procurement and commissioning of MINERVA mechanical components/ systems (support systems, girders and racks, interception devices, magnets etc.);
- Design, construction, procurement and commissioning of MINERVA alignment and adjustment systems for the main components;
- Development of the integration and installation strategy of the accelerator (mechanical integration, tunnel integration etc.);
- Preparation of the technical documentation (technical drawings, BOMs, specifications) • define and manage the required integration data such as rack lists, cabling lists and alignment standards based on input from the various component owners;
- Ensure a smooth transfer of the injector beam line installed in Louvain-La-Neuve to its final location in Mol with help of the technical colleagues;
- Report to the accelerator group leader.
To join this frontier, you'll need
- Master in Engineering (mechanical, mechatronics, phys. tech., mechanical engineering, electrical) or equivalent. PhD is a plus;
- Have 3 years of experience as an engineer;
- Experience in the integration of complex machines which have a strong interaction with its facilities is considered a strong asset;
- Experience in systems engineering is an additional asset;
- Knowledge in design and construction of mechanical and structural units with use of 3D CAD software, such as Creo;
- Knowledge in fields of precision mechanics, particle accelerators, structural analysis and material science;
- Be able to express yourself fluently in English (orally and in writing);
- Be able to communicate easily with people from different (non-)engineering disciplines;
- Work in Mol but also visit our office in Louvain-la-Neuve on a regular basis;
- Be willing to occasionally travel in the context of international collaborations and supplier follow-up;
- Be a self-managing team player with an eye for detail and a structured work approach;
- Expertise and experience with FEM-simulation tools are highly desirable.
A job with SCK CEN means:
- a chance to advance society;
- growing beyond your limits;
- being part of something bigger;
- excellent work-life balance;
- market conform salary;
- excellent social security (see https://www.socialsecurity.be/).
Contact Tomas Sergooris