PostDoc SRF Engineer
The European Spallation Source is hiring motivated and inspiring people from across the globe to design, construct and operate the world’s most powerful neutron source. We seek ambitious, talented people in a range of fields who are excited about playing a part in the future of science in Europe. The ESS is a partnership of 13 European countries and occupies a truly impressive campus based in the beautiful, cosmopolitan university city of Lund, Sweden – just 10 minutes from Malmö and 30 minutes from Copenhagen.
We are now looking to appoint a PostDoc SRF Engineer.
The Superconducting RF Section is, as part of the Accelerator Division, responsible for the coordination and supervision of the technical activities related to the SRF systems, from the design and assembly of the accelerator cryomodules at the in-kind partners, to the preparation, execution and evaluation of the tests at the Lund Test Stand 2 (TS2) and the FREIA facility in Uppsala, and finally to the installation and commissioning in the ESS Facility.
About the role
Your main responsibilities will include:
- Participation to the spoke and elliptical CM RF test activities at Uppsala and Lund
- Leading role in the development and documentation of the linac technical commissioning procedures after CM installation in the beamline, starting from those being used at the test stands
- Participation to the organization and execution of the technical commission activities after installation of the CM in the accelerator beamline
- Participation to the commissioning of the SRF linac components with beam, after the technical commissioning in the accelerator
- Development and consolidation of the maintenance plans for the SRF cavities and cryomodule assets, with active role in the spare part management, maintenance of the documentation workflow and hands-on support activities in the Section laboratory environment
- PhD in Accelerator Physics or equivalent work experience after master (3y)
- Experience in theoretical or experimental work in accelerator driven by superconducting cavities.
To be successful and perform well in this position you need to enjoy hands-on work, be ready to support the test stand and linac commissioning activities with periods of shift work, and be able to use your experience to prepare, perform tests, analyze the result and document the whole process. You should be a true team player, happy both to learn from others and to contribute with your own knowledge. You should be curious and interested in working with top front technology, and be able to stay focused also during intense periods of work.
What can we offer?
Aside from the opportunity to work at one of only 4 linear accelerator-based spallation sources on the whole planet, you can also expect:
- An opportunity to contribute to the future discoveries within neutron science.
- A stunning, brand new workplace filled with innovative minds and brilliant people from across the globe.
- A challenging and exciting work environment.
- Market competitive compensation that is individual and differentiated according to role, responsibilities, individual skills, abilities, and achievements.
- Benefits including 30 days of annual leave as well as more than 10 days of public holiday and company days off or days with limited working hours.
- Monthly pension contributions on top of your salary
- Relocation support and allowances
- Flexible working arrangements and a real work-life balance.
- An excellent quality of life in the highly sought after, family-friendly, beautiful and well-connected Southern Sweden/Greater Copenhagen region.
Duration & Location
This is a fixed term agreement of 2,5 years.
Your work place will be situated in Lund, Sweden, but you will be expected to travel to Uppsala and possibly to our in kind contractors in Europe, from time to time.
The position is to be filled as soon as possible.
Application & Contact
Please provide your curriculum vitae and personal letter in English by clicking on “apply” and follow the instructions. Please note that we only accept applications via the ESS website.
For some roles at ESS health check-ups and security clearance are required, and thus this might be applicable in the final parts of the recruitment process. The applicant is expected to be fit to perform the applicable tasks of this recruitment.
Deadline for applications is 31st August, 2022.
For more information regarding the ESS recruitment process, please follow this link https://europeanspallationsource.se/ess-recruitment-process
For further information regarding the position, please contact the Recruiting Manager, Paolo Pierini, Section Leader SRF, paolo.pierini[at]ess.eu
For trade union information, please contact Unionen representative Conny Wendt at firstname.lastname@example.org or SACO/Swedish Association of Graduate Engineers representative Yngve Levinsen at email@example.com.
We look forward to receiving your application!