Radiation Protection Technician
- Job type
- Research facilities
The European Synchrotron, the ESRF, is an international research centre based in Grenoble, France.
Through its innovative engineering, pioneering scientific vision and a strong commitment from its 700 staff members, the ESRF is recognised as one of the top research facilities worldwide. Its particle accelerator produces intense X-ray beams that are used by thousands of scientists each year for experiments in diverse fields such as biology, medicine, environmental sciences, cultural heritage, materials science, and physics.
Supported by 21 countries, the ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity.
The ESRF Safety Group is responsible for all radiation protection aspects associated with the different accelerators and the different X-ray experimental stations (beamlines), such as shielding calculations, radiation monitoring and personal and environmental dosimetry. The operation of the beamlines requires the use of radioactive sources for calibration purposes and some beamlines use radioactive samples.
You will assist the Radiation Protection Engineer in various radiation protection tasks, in particular:
- control and management of radioactive samples and sources;
- calibration and operation of measuring equipment;
- daily radiation protection follow-up of beamlines and X-ray generators;
- radiation protection follow-up around the accelerators.
You should hold a technician degree (BSc, Licence, HND, HNC, BTS, DUT, Bachelor, Meister, Vordiplom, Perito, Laurea Triennale, Diplomatura, Ingenieria Técnica or equivalent) in radiation protection:
- 2 to 5 years of professional experience;
- Knowledge of basic radiation protection rules and techniques is required. A training on specific radiation protection topics related to accelerators and X-ray beamlines will be provided;
- Rigour and the ability to work in a team are expected;
- Proficiency in English (working language at the ESRF).
Part of your work could be carried out outside of the regular working hours following ESRF regulations.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package designed to support your quality of life and your installation in the Grenoble area when relocation is needed.
The monthly salary may be complemented by additional allowances upon eligibility (expatriation allowance, etc.).