DSP FPGA developer – Wireless
BAE Systems Applied Intelligence works with governments and businesses around the world to help them defend against cyber threats, reduce their risk in the connected world, comply with regulation and transform their operations.
The Wireless Products group works with customers to develop innovative mission critical technology. Applications include software radios, space technology and underwater systems.
We are looking for bright, enthusiastic and committed individuals to work as DSP FPGA developers in one of our customer-facing product teams. Relevant industry experience is preferable but most of all we are looking for bright, enthusiastic and committed individuals with a strong academic background and the ability to learn quickly.
We have a range of roles available, from graduate entry through to experienced developers. We are interested in hearing from anyone who can make a strong contribution to our work.
What you will be doing (role duties and responsibilities)
Depending on your project assignment and level of experience, you may work on some or all of the following:
- Design and develop state-of-the-art FPGA designs for one of our software defined radio (SDR) solutions.
- Design and test Digital Signal Processing (DSP) algorithms using MATLAB or similar
- Managing technical tasks/projects and people
- Be involved in customer-facing delivery, sometimes to challenging deadlines.
- Customer-facing technical consultancy
- Have a strong interest in expanding technical knowledge both in areas of core expertise and more generally.
- Work towards gaining the experience required to take technical lead roles.
- Mentoring and coaching junior colleagues
What we are looking for (skills and experience)
We are looking for ambitious, high-calibre people with the following characteristics:
- Highly motivated with a strong academic background typically in Engineering, Physics or Mathematics with a 2:1 or 1st class degree. A Levels typically AA in Maths and Physics. PhD applicants also encouraged.
- Proven problem-solving skills
- Broad interest in wireless technology, embedded systems and awareness of latest industry developments.
- Ability to multi-task and stay organised in a dynamic work environment
- Excellent team working abilities
- Ability to learn quickly
- Ability to produce high-quality FPGA designs
- Understanding of FPGA and SoC architectures
- 1+ year experience of FPGA development (eg VHDL).
- Understanding of radio communications
- Understanding of digital signal processing
- Development on Linux based systems
- Range of software development experience including MATLAB, C++, Python
- Understanding of digital and/or analogue hardware design with some hands-on laboratory experience of debug/set-to-work.
Successful candidates for this role will be required to go through UK Government security clearance prior to starting with us.
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. We also welcome discussions about flexible working.