The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post- graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2100 people.
For the Photon Science Detector Group we are looking for a Postdoctoral Fellow (Machine learning for detector development, 80-100%).
You will be working on improving the You will be working on improving the spatial resolution of hybrid pixel detectors for electron microscopy applications using machine learning methods. You will develop the machine learning models and you will acquire experimental data with state-of-the art detectors and electron microscopes at PSI to train the algorithms and evaluate their performance. Your tasks will be:
- Implement machine learning techniques in collaboration with the Swiss Data Science Centre (SDSC) to improve the spatial resolution of hybrid pixel detectors in electron microscopy;
- Collect experimental data with an electron microscope to generate training datasets and evaluate the performance of the machine learning models for real experiments;
- Coordinate the collaboration between the photon science detector group, the electron microscopy facility at PSI and the SDSC.
- You have a PhD in natural or computer science (or related subject), preferably involving machine learning, electron microscopy or imaging detectors;
- You know programming, possibly with Python and C++;
- You like to work in a team and can see yourself as the interface between three different scientific groups;
- You can communicate clearly in English and translate problems between different scientific domains.
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
Your employment contract is limited to 2 years with the possibility of prolongation.
For further information, please contact Dr Anna Bergamaschi, by email email@example.com, phone +41 56 310 32 27.
Please submit your application online by 12 June 2022 (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Postdoctoral
Fellow (index no. 6221-00).