Head of the DESY Computer Centre and Leading Scientist: Computer and Data Science
For our location in Hamburg we are seeking:
Head of the DESY Computer Centre and Leading Scientist in the Field of Computer and Data Science (W3 level) Unlimited | Starting date: earliest possible | ID: FHB001/2022 | Deadline: 01.06.2022 | Full-time/Part-time
DESY, with more than 2700 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world's leading research centres. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
Computing, data science and algorithms are key pillars of the research done at DESY. DESY is operating large data and computer centers, which serve a large community of scientists in the areas of photon science, particle physics, astroparticle physics and accelerator physics. DESY also operates large TIER centers in the international LHC Computing Grid, for the Belle II Experiment in Japan and for the photon science experiments at the PETRA III, FLASH and the European XFEL light sources. Within the Helmholtz association DESY operates the IDAF (interdisciplinary Data and Analysis Facility), a large-scale research HTC and HPC infrastructure provided for research performed in the research field “Matter” in the Helmholtz Association. The diverse scientific portfolio of DESY relies on novel data science technologies such as artificial intelligence, machine learning, robotics and quantum computing, for the analysis of the data and the operation of the facilities. At DESY many activities are ongoing in these areas and are expected to further expand in the future.
The position will be that of the head of the computing division and a leading scientist position (W3 level) at DESY in Hamburg. A joint appointment with a university is desirable and can be explored.
About your role:
Head all aspects of the Computing Division of DESY in Hamburg
- Shape the future of scientific computing at DESY
- Drive the development of data science as a key scientific activity at DESY
- Lead the continuing development of the DESY computing center into a large scale modern compute infrastructure and drive its ambition to transform into a green compute infrastructure for a more sustainable future configuration
- Leverage the large expertise available in the central computing group and among the DESY scientists, and position DESY as a major player in the field both at the national and international level
- Responsibility for the support and further development of all IT services for more than 8000 user accounts, incl. the support of office computing
- A PhD in physics, computing science or in a related field
- Demonstrated leadership experience with significant staff responsibility at an institute, division or other significant unit of an organisation
- Excellent management and communication skills
- Capability of working in a complex organization
- Experience in interaction with networks at the international level are an asset
Good reasons to join:
Look forward to a unique working environment on our international research campus. We attach particular importance to appreciative cooperation and the well-being of our DESY employees. Gender equality is an important aspect for us. To support work-life balance we offer flexible working hours. As a public employer, we offer you a secure workplace and facilitate your individual career with our comprehensive training and development opportunities. DESY offers its employees a financial supplement for a job ticket at both locations.
Material to submit as part of the application: Curriculum vitae, at least three names of people who can provide a reference letter, and a personal statement on relevant experience, ideas and plans on computing at a major research facility (2-3 pages).
We look forward to receiving your application via our application portal.
DESY promotes equal opportunities and diversity. The professional development of women is very important to us and therefore we strongly encourage women to apply for the vacant position.
Applications from severely disabled persons will be given preference if they are equally qualified.
You can find further information here: https://www.desy.de/career