Director – International Liaison & Strategic Planning
The International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM) is an intergovernmental organization whose mandate is to provide the basis for a coherent system of measurements throughout the world, traceable to the International System of Units (SI). The BIPM is based in Sèvres, in the outskirts of Paris (France), and has an international staff of about 70. Further information can be found on www.bipm.org.
The BIPM seeks to recruit for the following appointment:
Post Title: Director - International Liaison & Strategic Planning
Grade: A12 (based on qualifications and experience)
Deadline for applications: 15 May 2022 to email@example.com
Type of contract: Full-time permanent appointment
Location: Sèvres (a suburb of Paris) - France
Principal duties and responsibilities
The Director of International Liaison and Strategic Planning is one of the most senior functions at the BIPM. Under the direct supervision of the BIPM Director, the post holder will play a leading role in developing the strategy for the BIPM and in managing its relationships with internal and external stakeholders. He/she will work to:
- Strengthen existing partnerships with liaison organizations (including the RMOs) as agreed by the CIPM and build new liaisons that will broaden the impact of the work of the BIPM.
- Provide support and guidance to the BIPM Director and Department Directors in motivating, scoping, and presenting the BIPM strategy and work program.
- Work with the BIPM Director to support the CIPM in developing metrology policies and strategies.
- Lead the institutional liaison activities of the BIPM including developing contacts with candidate Member and Associate States.
- Manage the work of the Capacity Building and Knowledge Transfer (CBKT) team including in the development of new funding opportunities and in the effective delivery of projects.
- Support the efficient and effective operation of the CIPM Mutual Recognition Arrangement (CIPM MRA) by managing the work of the KCDB Office and the JCRB Executive Secretary.
- Guide and supervise the work of the staff in the International Liaison and Communication Department to present the work of the BIPM through printed, website and “social media’’.
- Coordinate the work of BIPM staff to deliver special tasks aligned with CIPM priority actions.
The successful candidate will lead and manage a team of staff that will require:
- Facilitating a collegial, productive, and safe working environment in compliance with all relevant BIPM policies,
- Managing the finances of the team by effective budgeting and expenditure control, and
- Playing an active and constructive role at corporate meetings of senior staff.
- PhD or equivalent qualification (preferably in physical science or engineering).
- At least 15 years of relevant experience in International Liaison, Strategic Planning, and high-level communication.
Skills and competencies
- Excellent mastery of strategic and operational planning processes.
- Knowledge of metrology policies and strategies.
- Good command of modern information and communication technologies.
- Experience of working to a quality assurance management system such as ISO/IEC 17025.
- A fluent level of spoken and written English and a working knowledge of French (following lessons if necessary).
- The ability to work in a multicultural environment and to maintain good working relations inside and outside the organization.
- Management, leadership, communication, and inter-personal skills.
Terms of Employment
The BIPM offers for this position a full-time appointment with an initial probationary period of 6 months which may be renewable once. The annual gross salary on appointment will be competitive and will depend on qualifications and experience. It is expected that the annual gross salary offered, which is not subject to income tax in France (but taken into consideration for the calculation of the effective taxation rate, depending on the marital situation), will be between €101,074 and €107,202.
Benefits include a minimum of thirty-seven working days’ vacation per year. The BIPM provides a contributory pension scheme and private health insurance for staff members, which can be extended to cover dependents. In addition, various allowances are applicable, including to an expatriate, depending on family circumstances. More information is available at General conditions of employment at the BIPM.
The BIPM encourages applications from qualified candidates regardless of gender. A full curriculum vitae (CV) and a covering letter (in English) should be sent by 15 May 2022 (midnight Paris time) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications should include the names of two persons who can comment on the applicant's suitability for the post (who will only be contacted with the prior permission of the candidate). Incomplete applications may not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. They may be invited to take part in a distance written test and/or in a remote interview as part of the selection process, scheduled to start in June 2022. Thereafter, successful candidates will be invited to a face-to-face interview. The selection process may be modified according to the evolution of the current health crisis and any corresponding containment measures.
The BIPM retains the discretion not to make any appointment to this vacancy, to make an appointment at a different grade, to make an appointment with a modified job description, or to offer a contract term for a shorter duration than the one indicated in this vacancy announcement.
Terms of Employment
More information is available at General conditions of employment at the BIPM. https://www.bipm.org/en/opportunities