Do you want to work with the UK's Supercomputers?
We currently have exciting opportunities for two HPC Systems Administrators, to join our team here at AWE.
If you have experience working with high performance computers and want a role which supports, the computational services that play a vital role in AWE's scientific and engineering future capabilities, we want to hear from you!
Location: Aldermaston, Berkshire. We are located between Reading and Basingstoke, with onsite parking.
Although flexible working is available, due to the classified nature of these roles, it is anticipated that successful candidates will spend the majority of their time working on site at AWE Aldermaston.
Package: £38,000 - £65,000 (depending on your suitability, qualifications and level of experience)
A relocation package may be available - terms and conditions apply.
Closing Date: 28th February 2024
Working as part of the High Performance Computing (HPC) Group to provide system administration support for AWE's HPC supercomputers.
You will be part of a team that is managing some of the most powerful supercomputers in the UK and supporting computational services that are essential to AWE's scientific and engineering programmes.
These roles offer excellent opportunity for career advancement.
- Support the planning, installation and commissioning of new HPC systems;
- Provide day-to-day support of HPC systems;
- Configuration management of HPC platform hardware and software;
- Monitor the performance and the reliability of HPC systems;
- Development of in-house tools to support HPC platform administration;
- Overseas travel to attend conferences and collaborative meetings.
To be considered for this opportunity, you'll need the following:
- Experience of Linux operating systems;
- Scripting skills (preferably Python and Bash);
- Awareness of computer security concepts;
- Able to work independently and unsupervised, as well as part of a team;
- Good communication skills;
- Ability to work fully on-site - due to the nature of what we do at AWE and the responsibilities of this role, the role cannot be carried out remotely.
The following would be advantageous but not essential:
- Experience of HPC clustered computing;
- Experience of parallel file systems;
- Experience of first- and second-line user support.
What will you get from us?
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (including Bank Holidays);
- 9-day working fortnight - our employees have every other Friday off work;
- Flexible working hours;
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time;
- Family friendly policies: Maternity Leave - 39 Weeks Full Pay and Paternity Leave - 4 Weeks Full Pay;
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training;
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services;
- A market leading contributory pension scheme (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution);
- Life Assurance;
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending savings;
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family;
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site.
Important things you need to know:
- Interviews will be 90 minutes in length and will be held over Microsoft Teams. You will be required to prepare a 10-minute presentation in advance;
- Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role. This will be funded by AWE.
* Agencies: Please note that we do not out-source our recruitment