At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you an electronics technical engineer, interested in design, production, installation and operation of complex electronic systems? Are you interested in low-power radio-frequency technology, sophisticated measurements and how the RF electronics helps to accelerate the beams of particles? Take part!
You will join the Accelerator, which is responsible for the beam-related technical systems of the CERN accelerators. The SY teams design, build and operate equipment systems in all CERN accelerators, and are engaged in ambitious forward-looking R&D programmes.
You will join the group responsible for the design and operation of the low-level radio-frequency (LLRF) systems for the whole accelerator chain – from the smallest linacs to the Large Hadron Collider.
As a member of the team, you will carry out the daily operation of the LLRF systems in the existing accelerators and participate in design, production, installation, commissioning for the existing and future systems and machines.
These mixed signal systems include high performance programmable logic devices (FPGA), digital signal processing, radio-frequency front ends (amplifiers, filters, mixers, up to 1 GHz) or signal conversion (ADCs and DACs up to Gsps).
An important proportion of our duties represents assuring smooth and reliable, 24/7 operation for these systems and their continuous performance improvements.
As an equipment specialist, you will follow-up the daily operation, recommission the systems after technical stops, define and follow-up the required maintenance and upgrades, and provide support on beam tests and measurements
In addition, you will:
- Be responsible for operation of low-level radio-frequency systems in different machines across the whole accelerator chain;
- Liaise with the operations group and the accelerator physics group and participate in beam tests;
- Co-ordinate and participate in the stand-by service and interventions on LLRF systems;
- Test the devices and systems under your responsibility on the test bed, and in the machine and produce test reports;
- Coordinate the production, with industry, or using the in-house services;
- Produce and manage the associated technical documentation;
- Manage spare parts;
- Contribute to the design of mixed signal electronic modules/systems containing a large digital processing part, RF front-end interface and signal distribution;
- Contribute to the development of software scripts with Python or Matlab for RF system operation, hardware tests or setting up;
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electronics engineering, electrical engineering or a related field.
- Experience in the operation of systems, or complex industrial processes;
- Experience in the design and development of electronic modules;
- Experience in production of electronic modules by industry;
- Experience with scripting languages such as Python or Matlab.
- Experience in the field of analogue and/or high-frequency electronics and designs;
- Experience with digital control loops and feedback systems;
- Testing and measurement of electronic circuits, modules and systems;
- Use of modern test instruments (high-end digital oscilloscopes, signal and protocol analysers, RF instrumentation).
- Knowledge and application of high-level description languages and tools: (VHDL);
- Assembly of electronic components: and modules;
- Design and simulation of digital and analog electronic circuits;
- Testing and measurement of digital and analog electronic circuits.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements;
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities; building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships;
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; remaining objective, focused and productive in a stressful environment; focusing on solutions rather than problems;
- Achieving results: following through on new ideas and innovations; planning and implementing application Having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind;
- Communicating effectively: ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented; expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point.
Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw up technical texts in one of the two languages, as well as ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 12.12.2023 by midday.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays;
- Work in Radiation Areas;
- Interventions in underground installations;
- A valid driving licence;
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: SY-RF-FBM-2023-147-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electronics Technical Engineer