Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
A hybrid work schedule will be considered. A hybrid schedule is subject to change and determined by the needs of the project. You may be asked to be onsite more frequently in some circumstances.
We have multiple openings for Group Leaders (GLs) supporting Strategic Deterrence Applications and WSC-CP Simulation Codes. These positions are in the Applications, Simulations, and Quality (ASQ) Division within the Computing Directorate and in support of the Strategic Deterrence programs. You will be responsible for the administrative line management of approximately 10-12 employees who work in the ASQ Division. This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at a higher level.
$165,570 - $212,604 Annually for the SEL.3 level
$198,630 - $255,060 Annually for the SEL.4 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
In this role you will
- Provide career development guidance, mentoring, and coaching to group members, including administering performance evaluations, providing regular feedback to employees, and proactively address any issues;
- Administer performance evaluations, provide regular feedback to employees, and proactively address any issues;
- Lead hiring activities including development of job postings, participation on interview panels, and on-boarding of new employees;
- Attend division meetings, conduct group meetings, and participate in strategic planning activities;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SEL.4 level
- Direct technical tasks and projects and/or set broad research/project vision and strategy and influence technical direction for self and/or others;
- Act as a scientific/technical leader on large projects/programs that affect the organization's long-term goals and objectives while contributing to the development of innovative principles and ideas;
- Support management in attracting and retaining projects, programs, funding, and staff.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top-Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire;
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or related field, or equivalent combination of demonstrated knowledge and experience;
- Significant technical leadership and team building skills;
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience in areas of the computer science discipline such as software engineering, high performance computing, scientific computing, or data analysis;
- Expert ability to approach and resolve difficult issues using creative problem-solving skills and decision-making techniques;
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to build, motivate, and lead highly complex interdisciplinary teams;
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills, specifically the ability to explain and present highly complex ideas to varied audiences;
- Advanced facilitation and collaboration skills necessary to promote and maintain productive relationships across programs and directorates.
Additional qualifications at the SEL.4 level
- Substantial experience and ability to lead the application and development of principles, theories, and concepts in an applicable discipline in a creative and innovative fashion;
- Subject matter expert (often recognized internally and externally) of highly advanced concepts spanning one or more science, engineering, or IT specialized fields;
- Advanced verbal and written interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively with a broad wide range of scientific, technical, and management personnel, customers, and vendors.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master's degree or PhD in Computer Science or related field;
- Broad knowledge of Laboratory policies and practices and applicable NNSA orders;
- Broad knowledge of SD Apps or WSC-CP Simulation program mission areas and software development activities
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.